Your character lives alone. He comes home one day to find a large amount of money/valuables on the kitchen table. Nothing else, no note. There is no sign of a break-in. About a week later, same thing happens. Then it happens a third time…
Questions and ideas for follow-up:
- Would the character tell anyone about the money? Would he report it to the police – after all, there’s no crime he knows of.
- Who is leaving the money and why?
- What form does the money take? Ordinary notes? Ancient coins? Modern gold bullion? Alien ‘stuff’? Or the receipt for an electronic transfer? Souls in jars?
- Is it a case of mistaken identity, with the money really intended for someone else? If so, what will happen when the intended recipient finds out about the mistake?
- Is the main character actually leaving the money there himself whilst under the influence of a spell/mind control/possession? What did he do to get the money?
- Can the character find any apparent connection between his actions and the appearance of the money? Does it happen every time he takes a particular train, has a particular meal, pats the neighbour’s dog on the head? Those things are probably just a coincidence, but they might not be. If he plays sports, maybe the money appears whenever he wins/loses a game. Or he could make a connection with his performance at work. Or whenever he wishes someone dead…
- The money might be payment for services already rendered – in this world/life or another. Or maybe it’s ‘paying forwards’. By taking the money, is the character unwittingly entering into a contract of some form? What will be ‘asked’ of him later?